Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Alzheimers Disease

I thought today I would share with you a cause that I am helping to raise funds for.

When I was growing up my brother and I spent our summers at my grandparents cottage with them.  Now, we may joke about being at "boot camp" because of the rules that we had while we were there (bed by 9, up at 7, etc), but we really did enjoy our time there.  I remember the fun activities that they found for us to do, like making a plant holder for my mom by gluing seashells onto the outside of a plastic green plant holder.  Only to have the wind pick up moments later and have the table fall into the lake, seashells and all.  we had games of cards, rummycube, puzzles, and swimming.  We had our trips into town (Parry Sound, ON) twice a week, it was always early in the morning, especially the trips on Friday's because we had to leave before the "weekenders" or "vacationers" came in to pick up their supplies.  But on Fridays I was always able to go to the library and pick up some books.  And by some, I mean anywhere from 8-10 of them.  I'd read them through the week and return them all the following Friday (going to bed at 9pm while on summer vacation wasn't so bad after all.)  In fact I think I actually read through all of the books in the pre-teen section one summer.

Over these summers at the cottage, my grandmother would forget things - where she'd put her book, her knitting, how to play one of the card games.  Nothing really out of the ordinary when you consider that she was in her 70s.  Hey I just spent most of the day searching for a book that I realized has been missing for a week.  There were other symptoms as well and eventually my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease.

Now while Alzheimers Disease may be a horrible one to watch your family members suffer though, she did make some things quite humorous - such as referring to my husband as a "dirty man" when he made some type of sarky comment.  And other times the comments she made, you weren't sure whether you should laugh or cry...  I went with my mom to pick up my grandmother from a Alzheimer's Day program at one of the nursing homes.  We were chatting in the car, when she asked who that person was behind her.  My mom said it was her grand daughter, and my grandmother asked when all of this had happened, she didn't know she had a granddaughter.

My grandmother lived with this disease for many years and passed away in 2004.

This year I am supporting this cause in 2 different ways.  First I am thrilled to share that Scentsy's charitable warmer for this catalogue is in support of the Alzheimer's Society.  The Scentsy Family Foundation will donate $9 from each warmer sold to the Alzheimer's Society.  And I will also be donating all of my commission from each warmer I sell ($9) to the Alzheimer's Society.


Scentsy's Forget Me Not warmer in support of the Alzheimer's Society.  Only $42 CAD.


And secondly, I have signed up to compete in the 2013 World Alzheimer's Day Run for Heroes Marathon.  You can find more information and a spot for pledges here.  I will be running in memory of my grandmother and in the hopes that a cure can be found before myself or my children have to live with this disease ourselves.

Post a Comment